Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week Five, and I Owe You Two...

I got it into my head that I'd make some oatmeal cookies, but wasn't in the mood for the old standard. While looking in one of my "SRJC Culinary" books I found something called "ANZAC Cookies". Couldn't figure why they were called "cookies" since if they were ANZAC, they'd have been "Biscuits"... unless they were called cookies out of deference to the Yanks in Australia and New Zeland during the WWII. The cookies sounded pretty good, though, so I thought I'd try them.

Easy to put together, with pantry-available ingredients, they came out more Tuille than Cookie. Too bad I didn't have some Ice Cream or some Mousse... these crispy bites would have been a perfect foil to the cool creaminess. I should have anticipated the delicate, crisp sweetness of these special cookies because they contain 8oz. of Melted Butter. Melting the butter causes the cookies to spread out during baking, and the cup of packed Brown Sugar ensures they will bake up crispy. There is only a cup of AP Flour, one of Dried Coconut, and one of Slivered Almonds. A teaspoon of Baking Soda disolved in two Tablespoons of Boiling Water rounds out the ingredient list.

I think the cookies benefitted from the addition Sparkle Sugar to dress them up... and add a nice crunch. Purely your choice, of course.

I'm still trying to re-create a cookie I had at The Tower of London. There were oats, coconut, dried fruit and minced nuts in a shortbread-ish base. Care to join me on my quest? And, yes... I will get to the two weeks of cookies I owe you. Very soon. Maybe this weekend.

No comments: